Sunday, 19 January 2020
A wide, bright smile affords instant attraction, making a person appear warm, welcoming, engaging and engaged.
You will fondly remember a first meeting with a person who greets you with a broad smile.
“Teeth are one of the first things people notice about someone when meeting them for the first time,” Hong Kong-based dentist Dr John Bertrand Chen says. “A smile has a great effect on first impressions and what people perceive about you. Many surveys have shown that people correlate a great smile with success and confidence.”
As we get older and our teeth yellow with age, lengthen with gum recession or even fall out, we may be less inclined to smile. “Bad” teeth – “which often goes hand in hand with bad breath” — are just not attractive, Dr Chen notes.
Read more @ https://www.todayonline.com/world/why-good-teeth-matter-health-and-confidence-and-how-get-million-dollar-smile
|Fish oil pill supplement|
Men take note, fish oil can boost sperm count and even increase testicle size, a new study has revealed.
The research, published in JAMA, found men who regularly took fish oil supplements for 60 days had millions more sperm than those who took nothing or or those who took only vitamin supplements.
Dr Tina Jensen, of the University of Southern Denmark, said: “Fish oil supplements were associated in a dose-response manner with higher semen volume and total sperm count, and larger testicular size.
“These findings suggest that healthy men may benefit from intake of fish oil supplements, but a well designed randomised clinical trial among unselected men is warranted.”
|Image for illustration only|
Cardiologists at a heart institute in Los Angeles tracked 30,000 adults for almost four decades.
Results showed blood vessels in women – from major arteries to tiny capillaries – physically deteriorate and become less efficient at a faster rate than in men.
And blood pressure gets worse at a younger age than it does in men, who see a more sustained increase over time.
You may want to read Food That Strengthens Blood Vessels
The real treat comes in October. It's the only month of the year to have two full moons, ultimately making the second full moon of the "blue" variety. And what's even rarer? October's blue moon will take place on Halloween. According to AccuWeather meteorologist Brian Lada, "After the blue moon on Oct. 31, 2020, trick-or-treaters will need to wait until 2039 to see the next blue moon on Halloween." This is definitely an event you don't want to miss.
As for the 13 full moons, a full list can be found below.
- January 10
- February 9
- March 9 (supermoon)
- April 7 (supermoon)
- May 7
- June 5
- July 5
- August 3
- September 2
- October 1
- October 31
- November 30
- December 29
Saturday, 18 January 2020
For most people, a decent exercise regimen may involve going for a run for heart health or lifting weights to build up biceps. But evidence suggests there is something important that we may be neglecting: our grip strength.
Indeed, having a poor grip has been associated with weaker overall strength, more injuries and a longer recovery time — especially as you age.
But the strength (or weakness) of our grip can also provide valuable insight into our overall health and future risk of diseases, such as dementia.
In one of the most recent studies, in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, researchers found poor grip strength was an early sign of cognitive impairment, which can lead to dementia. Each 5kg reduction in grip strength - for reference, a 30-year-old man has a grip strength of about 40kg on average - was associated with an 18% greater chance of severe cognitive impairment.
You may want to read People with a strong handshake are better at problem-solving, memory tests and reasoning, study shows
A cluster of more than 50 pneumonia cases in the central Chinese city of Wuhan may be due to a newly emerging member of the family of viruses that caused the deadly SARS and MERS outbreaks, World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Wednesday (Jan 8).
While the United Nations health agency said it needed more comprehensive information to confirm precisely the type of pathogen causing the infections, it said a new coronavirus was a possibility.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause infections ranging from the common cold to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Some of the virus types cause less severe disease, while some — like the one that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) — are far more severe.
"The initial information about the cases of pneumonia in Wuhan... pointed to a coronavirus as a possible pathogen causing this cluster," the WHO said in a statement.
Read more @ https://www.todayonline.com/world/china-pneumonia-outbreak-may-be-linked-new-type-virus-who
You may want to read
1) Wuhan pneumonia outbreak: Japan confirms first case of infectio
2) Wuhan virus: Suspected cases in Singapore go up to 5, MOH warns of more to come
The police have warned members of the public to be vigilant against car rental scams during the upcoming Chinese New Year festive period.
Between January and November last year, at least 35 reports of car rental scams were made, with a total loss of at least $25,000, said the police in a news release on Thursday (16 January).
Such scams usually involve victims paying a deposit or the full rental amount after responding to advertisements placed by scammers.
“In some instances, scammers have been known to use a temporary office to appear credible. After payment is made, the vehicle would not be delivered to the victim on the proposed day of collection, and the scammers would become uncontactable,” said the police.
A sip of Pu'er tea can be as helpful as drugs in lowering blood sugar and preventing diabetes, says a recent press briefing by the Pu'er city government. That is the finding of scientists at Jilin University and the Changchun Science and Technology University, after two years of studies organized by Pu'er city, Yunnan province.
"Owing to Pu'er tea's obvious effect in restraining some enzymes related to diabetes, the experts believe drinking the right amounts of Pu'er tea can help lower blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes to some extent," says Sheng Jun, deputy mayor of Pu'er city.
The researchers carried out a test among 120 diabetic volunteers. They were asked to drink Pu'er regularly and stop their medicines, while making no change to their dietary habits. Seventy percent reported blood sugar levels lowered to below 7 mmol/L, with an average decrease of 35%.
My 2 cents:
How do you stop water flooding?
1. Build a barrier
2. Sweep away excess water that flows through the barrier.
This is what one should do to stop diabetes. It is a 2-step treatment.
1. The barrier is pu'er tea or vinegar. Both are fermented food and good for resisting sugar from going into the body. Other fermented food like kimchi may also be good.
2. Wholegrain food like oat or barley contains β-glucans. The positive effects of β-glucans on blood glucose are well established scientifically - they can lower glucose. Eat oats or barley to clear excess sugar from your body. Other wholegrains that has slimy liquid, like rice, may also be good for clearing excess sugar. This may be why in the early days when people were eating porridge (because they were poor), there were lower cases of diabetes.
3. Please note that pu'er, oat and barley are cooling food. Eating too much may cause some side effects on your body, so control the amount of these food during consumption or eat them on alternate days.
- Use apple cider vinegar. Fill a bowl or glass with apple cider vinegar, cover with plastic wrap and a rubber band to seal the edges, and poke tiny holes in the top. The fruit flies will be attracted to the vinegar, but once they're inside, they won't be able to escape the plastic wrap barrier.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and dish soap. Fill a bowl with the vinegar and add a drop of dish soap, mixing well. The apple cider vinegar tempts the flies with its stale sweetness, and the dish soap actually works to decrease the surface tension of the liquid, so the flies are immediately immersed upon investigating and can’t escape.
- Bust out an old beer. Leave a bottle of old wine or beer out near where the fruit flies were spotted. They’ll be lured in by the stale beverage, but the narrow neck of the bottle acts as a natural barrier to keep them trapped.