But sometimes this may not be true as when our immune system over-reacts, it may attack healthy body tissues instead, causing chronic inflammation in otherwise healthy areas of the body like leaky gut, arthritis. This is known as autoimmune disorder. The reason for the attack is due to free radicals and oxidants may injure the tissues directly or indirectly when they interact with good cells. Chronic inflammation may eventually results in tumours and cancer.
Inflammation still plays a part in diseases that are not autoimmune, like asthma and insulin resistance.
To sum up, inflammation is the root of most diseases.
The following categories of food is most beneficial in reducing inflammation:
- antioxidants - will remove free-radicals
- essential fatty acids
These are some of anti-inflammation food:
- Green leafy vegetables and fruits - rich in antioxidants like chinese cabbage, celery, beets, broccoli, blueberries, pineapples, chillies, pepper
- Fatty fish - salmon, tuna, sardines full of omega3
- Nuts - walnuts, almonds
- Coconut oil, olive oil
- Seeds - chia seeds and flaxseeds - full of omega3 and omega6
- Spices and herbs - ginger, turmeric, garlic, basil, thyme, cinnamon
- Green tea
Inflammation food to avoid
- Trans fat in fried food
- Saturated fats from animals - margarine
- Sugar, carbohydrates, refined sugar and carbohydrates - as in sugary drinks, bread, pastries, etc.
- Processed food