|image from http://www.underwateraudio.com/blog/the-diet-guide-mediterranean-diet/|
1. Studies found this diet is probably more effective than a low-fat diet in lowering LDL cholesterol and blood pressure.
2. Another study found that the diet lowers your overal stroke risk.
3. Not very restricted in food recommendations, so it is easy to follow.
4. A study of pensioners with this diet found their brain shrinkage, associated with memory loss and Alzheimer’s, was half of others their age. [NEW]
1. A recent review found as far as fat loss is concerned, it is no more successful than other diets as this is diet is high in fats and hence, more calories.
2. The pace of life in the Mediterranean area is quite different from elsewhere. In addition, the food grown here (in mountains and close to sea) tend to have more antioxidants and fresher. The same goes for the place where the air is fresher and the smell of salt helps in the growth of bacteria. Hence people elsewhere when they practise this diet might have less effective results, especially when it comes to longevity.