It’s found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system and tendons. It’s what helps give our skin strength and elasticity, along with replacing dead skin cells. In our joints and tendons, collagen is also in the cartilage.
Once we start to age, production of collagen is also slowed down, resulting in wrinkles, sagging skin, joint pains.
There are 10 types of collagen, type 1 being the most abundant and considered to be the strongest.
Food that helps to replenish collagen
|Image from internet - turkey bone broth|
1. Bone broths provide plenty of collagen. That is your mother boils bone broths for hours. Example of bone broths are from fish, chicken, cow and egg shell.
3. Soy products. Genistein in soy and cheese products help in quality collagen production.
4. Dark green vegetables help produce collagen but also contains a lot of antioxidant, including lutein.
6. Red-orange fruits and vegetables. Lycopenes in these food helps to act as antioxidants, which in turn increases collagen production. Eating red-orange food also helps in removing free radicals.
7. Vitamin C
8. Omega acids
9. Vitamin A. Working in conjunction with the sulphur, vegetables that are rich in Vitamin A also aid in keeping collagen levels high.
11. Garlic offers lipoic acid and taurine, both of which help rebuild damaged collagen. It’s also an excellent source of sulfur, an essential part of collagen production.
12. Bird's nest is rich in epidermal growth factor (EGF). EGF is responsible for skin and tissue repair. Bird’s Nest contains proteins, amino acids and minerals that are essential for healthy development.
Why we need to replenish collagen
- Improves skin and hair, that is why a lot of ladies take collagen supplements. Helps reduces cellulite and stretch marks once our skin loses its elasticity.
- Reduces joint pains and degeneration.
- Helps leaky gut. Collagen helps to heal the protective lining of your digestive tract.
- Helps to increase metabolism, your muscles and energy output
- Strengthening nails, hair and teeth
- Improves liver health so that its effects from toxins are minimised when detoxing.
- Helps cardiovascular heath
Side effects of taking too much collagen supplements
- High calcium levels. Collagen supplements made from marine sources contain high amounts of calcium. If you are taking calcium supplement as well, there is a high chance of too much calcium in your body.
- Bad taste in your mouth. But this should go away after an hour.