Sunday, 1 January 2017
A low-carb diet means you eat fewer carbohydrates and a higher proportion of fats and protein. This is often called a low-carb, high-fat diet.
What to eat
Meat, fish, eggs, fruits, nuts and seeds, vegetables growing above ground (some non starchy roots) and healthy oils, natural fats (like butter).
What not to eat
Sugar and starchy foods (like bread, pasta, rice, beans and potatoes), low-fat products, wheat, trans fats and highly processed food.
1. Eat when you are hungry, and until you are satisfied. It is that simple.
2. Numerous studies have been conducted on low-carb diets and almost every one of these studies, low-carb diets come out ahead.
3. Not only low-carb diet causes more weight loss, it has other major health improvements like reduced blood sugar and insulin levels, lowers LDL but increases HDL, etc.
1. People might be sceptical about fats, the solution is not to eat saturated animal fats. Eat plant saturated fats.
You may want to read Ignore the guidelines, eat low-carb and high-fat – Dr. Sarah Hallberg on how to reverse type 2 diabetes
Paleo diet or Stone Age diet, is based on the theory that modern diet is to be blamed for all the diseases and illnesses that we suffer. To eat only the natural food that are available to our caveman-ancestors is the key to a healthy us.
The Paleo diet consists of fruits, vegetables, meat, nuts and seeds. Grains and legumes, which are considered "anti-nutrients and is toxic if not cook", with dairy, sugar and starch are omitted from the diet.
1. The diet is just like dairy-free, may help solve health problems for those who are lactose intolerant.
2. Any diet that omits processed food is more beneficial than a western diet.
3. Several studies linked Paleo diet to increased insulin sensitivity, improved lipid and reduced inflammation. Chronic inflammation and free radicals are associated with tumours and cancer.
1. The theory is not correct as cancer tumour was discovered on fossil bone dated back to 1.7 million years. This proves cancer cells are with us irregardless of the type of food we eat.
2. Cavemen ate wild plants and fresh meat. Whatever they ate, is quite different from our agriculture and domesticated food which may still contain toxins.
3. Avoiding yoghurt and cheese deprives of good bacteria for your gut.
|image from https://healthinessbox.com/2012/04/10/atkins-diet/|
Atkins diet is based on the theory that eating whole food carbohydrates, primarily of protein, fats and fiber, your body produces far less insulin. When you eat high fibre whole food, your blood sugar holds steady as glucose is slowly converted to glucose.
When your insulin is working properly, no insulin spikes, it is able to arrest all sugar in your body, either to be transported to cells as energy, or to be stored in the muscles or liver.
1. Substantial weight loss is reported.
2. By eating low-carb food, your appetite goes down and they end up automatically eating fewer calories without having to think about it.
3. In a large comparison of 4 diets by Stanford U School of Medicine, not only Atkins diet participants lost the most weight, but also good results in cholesterol and high blood pressure. One of the other diets compared was LEARN (Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitudes, Relationships and Nutrition) diet follows national guidelines reflected in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s food pyramid (low in fat and high in carbohydrates).
1. Atkins diet has 4 phases with phase 1 being the strictest and maybe, most difficult part of the whole diet. This phase only allows 29g or less carb per day, but one is allowed all meat, cheese, several green vegetables, fats and oils.
2. This diet is like other low-carb, high protein diet except for its strict rules.