Lactose, a form of sugar found in dairy foods, can cause many digestive problems like diarrhea, bloating, flatulence to acne for many people.
Cutting out animal milk-based products, including cheese, butter, cream, yoghurt may remove many health problems.
On the moral/ethical side, people now take a stand on how cows are reared, like forced to be impregnated to maintain milk yields, the cramped environment where they are reared, type of food being fed and the amount of antibiotics used.
- Milk can be replaced by the ready available plant-based milk like soy, almond, coconut and rice.
- May help solve health problems for those who are lactose intolerant.
- Calcium from dairy products can now be replaced by supplements or plant-based milk.
- Avoiding dairy products may help prevent breast and prostate cancers. [NEW - you may want to read Health tips: How to beat breast and prostate cancers]
- Avoiding yoghurt and cheese deprives of good bacteria for your gut. But they can be replaced by fermented food.