- Don't smoke. Or vape. Or chew. Or dip.
- Drink in moderation. No more than one glass of wine for women, two for men.
- Exercise regularly. On average, 30 minutes per day.
- Eat healthy. Think a "Mediterranean" diet: Plenty of vegetables, poultry and fish for protein, grains and nuts... with a limited amount of red meat and fried food.
- Maintain a healthy bodyweight. Generally speaking, a BMI that falls between 18.5 and 25.
The list for avoiding Alzheimer's and dementia is similar:
- Don't smoke.
- Drink in moderation.
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes a week.
- Consume a "brain supporting diet" (pretty much a "Mediterranean" diet). Our brain is made up of about 60% fats, hence eating more healthy fats is good for the brain.
- Engage in late-life cognitive activities.