Monday, 21 October 2019

Overweight people develop fat in their LUNGS and it can make it harder for them to breathe, scientists discover

Overweight people develop fat in their lungs which can make it harder for them to breathe, scientists have discovered.

Respiratory problems such as asthma have long been linked to those with a high BMI but the reason for this has never been clear.

Past research has suggested that the lungs become compressed under the excess load being exerted upon them.

For the first time, a study by Australian researchers has found that fatty tissue clogs up the airway walls and restrict the supply of oxygen.

Ref: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7583773/Overweight-people-develop-fat-LUNGS-make-harder-breathe.html

Migraines caused $1.04 billion loss in Singapore last year: Study

A migraine often progresses through several stages. Symptoms include constipation, irritability and visual disturbances, before the actual headache occurs. It lasts between four and 72 hours, mostly affects 30- to 40-year-olds, and is more common in adult women than men due to hormonal changes.

Migraine sufferers caused about $1.04 billion in economic losses in Singapore last year, a local study has found.

Productivity loss made up 80% of the cost, with the remaining 20% attributed to healthcare costs.

People who experienced these chronic headaches also missed an average of 9.8 work days a year, and for those who continued working, the symptoms greatly reduced their ability to perform tasks, amounting to productivity loss of 7.4 days each year.

Ref: https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/migraines-caused-104-billion-loss-singapore-last-year-study

You may want to view this video:  Hed Chef Recipe: Brain Tonic Soup





My 2 cents:

One of the causes of migraine is not enough sleep. As more people are addicted to their smart devices, they are depriving themselves of sleep. If one does not sleep well, the head will be the first place to get problems. If the cause of migraine is not removed, medicine or tonic food can only help migraine sufferers to a certain degree.

Simple ways to be active every day

Remember, the more you move, the more calories you will burn. This can maximize your weight loss efforts and help you reach your goal sooner.
  • Pace the room during commercial breaks, between show episodes, or while talking on the phone.
  • Take the stairs rather than the elevator. Take 2 steps instead of 1 for better exercise.
  • Park your car in the back of parking lots.
  • Get a fitness tracker. Some trackers send alerts when you’ve been sedentary for too long. These alerts remind you to move.
  • Schedule walking meetings with your coworkers.
  • Fidget in your seat, such as tapping your hand, rocking your leg, or engaging your abdominal muscles as you sit. According to one studyTrusted Source, people with obesity who fidget might expend an additional 350 calories per day.
  • Get off the bus or subway a stop earlier, and walk the rest of the way to your destination.
  • Put on headphones while cooking or completing other household chores. This will encourage you to move or dance.
  • Walk the dog as a family.

You may want to read Exercises to do when sitting down

Ref: https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/best-exercise-to-lose-weight#other-ideas

Nearly all public buses here now wheelchair-accessible

Singapore's public bus fleet of about 5,800 buses is now 99% wheelchair-accessible, said the Land Transport Authority (LTA).


Ref: https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/nearly-all-public-buses-here-now-wheelchair-accessible

You may want to read New wheelchair-accessible electric minibus to operate on a public route